Friday, March 23, 2012

Your feedback earnestly requested

Jeremy and I just returned from a delightful dinner at our friendly neighborhood Mexican restaurant.  I'm not sure why I even bother looking at the menu, because I'm going to order nachos, obviously.  Every.  single.  time. But I look anyway, perhaps in an effort to somehow seem less eager or less nacho crazed. 

While perusing the menu this evening, a thought struck me.  Why do some restaurants go to the trouble of including pictures of the food on the menu?  Think of all the effort that goes into preparing the food, arranging it just so on the plate, finding the perfect lighting (a challenge, for sure), photographing the food, narrowing down all the photos to the 37 or so best looking photographs to include in the final product. 

And for what?

So people like me can study said pictures, completely horrified (especially at the ones featuring seafood) at how unappetizing they all seem?  I'm sorry, but is that breaded, fried fish?  With the head still on?  Really?

My question is this: have you ever been compelled to place your order based on the food photography contained in the menu?  Answer honestly. 

3 comments:

  1. Only when the food pictured is a sandwich. I have definitely ordered a sandwich based on the photo. Usually one that utilizes three slices of bread and is cut into triangles, then speared with those festive toothpicks with the little fringe on top.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We were once watching the foodnetwork and they featured this place down the street and their puffy tacos and we were all WE HAVE TO GO THERE AND ORDER THOSE NOW and then I got there and read the menu and ordered what I normally get.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've totally ordered by the photo. Particularly dessert.

    Love,
    Your simple minded friend ;)

    ReplyDelete