Thursday, July 23, 2009

Grill. Master?

So, I consider myself a mildly handy individual. No, you won't see me changing a ceiling fan on my own or repaving the driveway, but I can hang a set of blinds or install a new door knob - all by myself.

Assemble my new grill? No sweat, right? I've been dying for a grill since I moved into my house a year ago. There's nothing better than grilled food, and I'd sorely missed grilling during my years of apartment dwelling (better known as "the oven years").

I eagerly began the assembly process on Tuesday night. Yikes. Talk about weeping and gnashing of teeth. Just look at page 1 of the instruction manual:

I know! *gulp*, right? But on I pressed, with visions of burgers, dogs and chicken dancing in my head. Allow me to introduce you to the cast of characters:

It was about this point that I started to feel a tiny bit intimidated. Like maybe I should've paid the $50 assembly fee and had the thing delivered ready to use. But no! Girl power, right? I can put together a stinkin' grill. The way I see it, I can do anything that Paris Hilton can't.

And just look how considerate the folks at Thermos were when they organized the hardware. It's an OCD girl's DREAM:

Here's a progress shot after 30 minutes of assembly:

And after 1 hour:

And then, I hit a roadblock. I was totally stumped. Step 7 seemed totally simple. Attach the firebox to the legs with 4 screws and 4 washers. What's so hard about that? But the holes didn't line up. I huffed, and puffed, and growled (yes, really). I even tried pouting and stomping my feet, but nothing worked. So I did what any rational, self-respecting handy woman would do. I slammed down my screwdriver and I quit.

Enter day 2, Wednesday evening. After a 21 hour break to regroup and get mentally pumped up, I tackled the stupid grill the the force and gusto of a sumo wrestler at an all-you-can-eat buffet. I quickly realized my error from Day 1 (made in step 1 of assembly, no less). Here we are after 30 minutes of Day 2 assembly:

It may look like a giant step backwards, but it was actually a giant leap for mankind. To prove it, just look at the progress made after hour 1 on day 2:

Look, mom! Shelves! I have shelves! For holding...things!
And (drum roll, please. LOUDER!) - I'm pleased to introduce you to my new grill, in all it's assembled glory. Taaa-Daaa:


Isn't he brilliant? And to think, it only took 23 hours and minimal tears to complete. To top it off, I'm pleased to report that after all the dust settled, I only had one leftover part:

Here's hoping that's not the screw that keeps the flame from singeing eyebrows. I like my eyebrows.
a
All this begs one final question.
a
How would you like that cooked?

1 comment:

  1. i admit to being impressed. i would not have the patience to assemble a grill!

    ReplyDelete