Thursday, January 19, 2012

The scale doesn't lie. Much.

Confession: On January 5, I joined Weight Watchers.  No, it wasn't a New Year's Resolution.  Yes, I sat through the first meeting scoffing at the 50 other people who were there because of their resolutions.  I scoff at you, resolution makers! 

Ahem.

I had impressive success doing Weight Watchers in 2004.  I've been proud of that accomplishment for some time, until I realized that 2004 was 8 years ago, thus my past success was not as recent or impressive as I like to think.  So, I saddled back up with hopes that I'll be able to sing like Jennifer Hudson by the end of my 12-week spring pass.  Do I have to pay extra for that? 

My first weigh-in made the arm-gnawing hunger worth it, but I knew week 2 would present all sorts of challenges.  Namely, the youth ski trip.  Have you spent time around teenagers lately?  This weekend, I encountered cheeseburgers, chocolate chip pancakes, Cracker Barrel hash brown casserole (be still my beating heart), french fries, Twinkies, cookies, pizza, nachos, chicken fingers, french fries, hot chocolate, waffles, and biscuits.  And french fries.  And by "encountered", I mean I only ate some of those things.  French fries. 

I faced my weigh in tonight with much disdain.  I tried to curb my eating habits while on the trip, but I'm not bulletproof.  French fries.  But I promised myself I would go face the music, hold my head up high, and save any post-weigh-in weeping for the solitude of my window-tinted car. 

I also decided to cheat. 

I chose my lightest weight t-shirt (the one emblazoned with the vodka logo...sorry grandma) and decided to remove my shoes before I climbed onto the scale.  For the record, at my first two weigh-ins, I wore both a fleece and my shoes (and pants.  Relax.).  But not this time.  This time I wore the bare minimum, muttered an apology to the scale monitor, removed my shoes, and held my breath. 

I lost 2 pounds. 

The meeting leaders gathered around to applaud my accomplishment.  I accepted their congratulations with a sheepish grin, mostly staring at the floor to avoid eye contact.

I lost 2 pounds of cotton, plastic, synthetic leather upper, and Dr. Scholl's inserts.  And I had to wear a vodka t-shirt in public. 

Totally.  Worth.  It. 

How you like me now, J-Hud?  

2 comments:

  1. Girl, I also took off heavy bracelets. ANDdddddddddddddd I was really good (mostly) when around teenagers. Mostly because they are skinny. Jerks.

    ReplyDelete